Swimmin.Bikin.Runnin.

Swimmin.Bikin.Runnin.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

UFC at Coteau-du-Lac and Canada Day

Trying to smile after drinking 2 Litres of water for CCES...


I am in serious need of a nap!

So this is much overdue, but I raced at Coteau-du-Lac in Quebec last Saturday. It was a national Junior series race as well as a Continental Cup race, and the set up and accommodations were excellent. I really noticed a difference between the transition zone set up from this year and last year, and it was a lot smoother and thought out.
I arrived the day before and looked over the course before heading over to the pre-race meeting a couple of kilometres away. In the meeting we learnt of a new rule now being enforced in all TriCan and WC races. For the first time ever, we were going to be using a penalty box for any infractions over the course of the race. The penalty box was to be placed on the run course, and the athlete may decide on when to serve their penalty (first or second lap). For those who are curious, a fifteen second penalty is given if an athlete false starts, drops any equipment on the way to transition, touches their bike before fastening their helmet, mounts before the mount line, dismounts after the dismount line, unbuckles their helmet before racking their bike, and fails to put their helmet in the equipment box (we didn't have equipment boxes for this race).



Anyways, I headed back to the hotel for dinner with the team and Andrew McCartney. Then settled in for the night. The race wasn't until the afternoon the nest day, and I enjoyed the chance to sleep in (which means 7am) and relax before the race.
We arrived on the race site with pouring rain and cooler temperatures, and soon learnt that the race was not wetsuit legal. I warmed up and did the normal preparations. Unfortunately, our swim warmup was a little short, but I got in a couple starts and was ready to go.
I got a decent spot on the pontoon, but I wasn't prepared for the blast of the start horn and the thoughts in my head revolved around, "boy, I bet that water feels chilly without my nice warm wetsuit". I didn't have a great start, and I found myself being pushed back as the pack closed in. This is when I received a swift kick to the face. A girl's heel connected right with my right eye, and of course my goggles. I couldn't really see out of that eye and my vision went blurry and white. Sighting was slightly difficult, as was the run up the stairs to transition. I now have a pretty sweet looking black eye...I will get some pictures up when I can!!
Out of the water, I was farther back then I wanted but I knew I had to minimize any damage on the bike. After two laps of working with Domi Jamnicky and Mag Rochette, I was slowly starting to see out of my right eye. It became obvious that there were some effective team tactics going on, and with this being an important qualifying race for Worlds in September, it wasn't hard to understand why a strong team would take this approach.

Once I got off of the bike I did what I could on the run, but I had lost too much time to run to the spot I wanted. Overall, I learnt where I can make some corrections and prepare for the next race!

In other news - Happy Belated Canada Day! I trained a bit in the morning and then went up to a friend's beautiful cottage to relax and celebrate.
Canada Day Road Race

No comments:

Post a Comment