Swimmin.Bikin.Runnin.

Swimmin.Bikin.Runnin.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Thanks to Memphry

This Sunday was our Eastern Canadian Championships in Magog, Quebec. I was lucky to stay in a nice condo on the water...I tried on many occasions to spot the lake's infamous monster, Memphry, but I am sad to report that there were no sightings to document. Apparently Memphry has been spotted over 225 times in the last 200 years. I guess he / she (?) got scared away by all the crazy people flailing in the water.

Anyways, the race went really well. I was out of the swim where I needed to be and made up time in transition to be with the lead pack on the bike. I was feeling quite weak after my sickness, and I didn't quite have the legs on the hilly course. I stuck in and played it safe, taking some pulls and watching for any breaks. I had a great T2 and was off running, so happy to be where I wanted to. Unfortunately I went the wrong way on the run, but I was fortunate to realise my mistake and turn around in the right direction. I had to sprint back up to first, and I was so relieved to have the speed and energy left to do so!

The town was so beautiful and I enjoyed staying there. I hope that I can go back soon...there are so many paths and restaurants to explore. I won't bore you with the story of my two hour adventure in the grocery store...some people love shopping for clothes...I love shopping for food!! They had the most amazing grocery store; oh how I wish we had Metros like that in Ottawa. Or maybe not. I wouldn't get much done because I would be grocery shoppin all the time.

There was a lot of racing this weekend and so I have many congratulations to give out.
1) Domi Jamnicky showed her fitness at the Junior race, coming in third. She has put so much work in and truly deserves this result. I am so fortunate to be able to train and race with her!
2) Sam Klus placed first in the U15 Elite category with some fast racing. Elise Charrier and Alex Maxwell represented Bytown well with some great results.
3) The veteran, Matt Vierula competed in the Elite Olympic race in Magog, placing fourth and getting a chance to TT the whole bike! I don't know how I would ever have done those hills on aero bars...
4) Ryan Cain, newly engaged to a gorgeous blonde lady, stole third position in the Long course race...apparently he was too cool for the medal ceremony and insisted that they mail his cash to him...but he did have the fastest bike after all. I am excited to help him work on his speed in the water. Then he can bring home the BIG bucks, and share some with me. :)
5) Leslie Sanderson and Dave Markin raced IronMan Lake Placid this weekend with some solid results. I am lucky to swim with them on a regular basis and their level of commitment is inspirational. Can't wait to hear about how the race went!
6) Garrett De Jong blazed through the Long course race in Muskoka. He tackled the hills and the challenging terrain to finish strongly....just slightly behind some of North America's better know Pro Athletes.
7) Paula Findlay. Need I say more? Zooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm.

Next up is Ontario Provincials here in Ottawa; the first ever draft legal race to be held here! It will be an exciting race, and we have to thank Terry McKinty for letting us use his course!

No comments:

Post a Comment